General FAQs

General questions

Is the library still open?

All of our libraries are now open with the exception of the Melbourne campus. Libraries are open between 8.00am-4.00pm and are only accessible when a staff member is on campus.

Am I able to take a book out for a longer loan period across this time?

For Melbourne students, loans have been extended to the first week of January. For any students that have issues with returning their loans, please contact either the Virtual Librarian or one of our campus libraries.

Can I still get support from the library team at this time?

Yes, absolutely. The campus and virtual librarian team will be happy to help you at this time. Our campus and virtual librarians are available via the live chat and for one on one appointments.

We recommend you use the live chat function for quick questions and book a consultation via the LMS for an appointment for more in-depth questions. Depending on your location, appointments can be in person or online. The library will also be running webinars, you can find information about these on the library website.

What is the Student Portal?

The Student Portal is your administration site. Anything to do with your enrolment history, results and notices from the College can be found on the Student Portal. You can view the year’s timetables, access forms and policies, pay fees, submit a request for assistance and submit feedback.

What is the LMS?

Learning Management System. Here you’ll find all of your course information relating to your online subjects. On the LMS you can access course materials, submit assignments, contact lecturer/tutor, view subject outlines and access a range of support tools.

For any LMS queries, please email or call 1300 051 429 to speak with our online help desk team.

How do I access my Endeavour student email?

  1. Go to
  2. Enter as the username

How do I get my student card?

Visit your local library with a form of photo identification to receive your student card. You need a student card to sit any examinations held on campus and to borrow resources from your local Endeavour library.

What is the Student Code of Conduct?

The Student Code of Conduct aims to foster Endeavour values and encourage active engagement between the College and the student body within the contexts of professional practice, teaching and learning, research and the life of the College community.

Download the Student Code of Conduct

The purpose of this Code of Conduct that underpins the Endeavour student experience is to define the partnership that exists between students, the staff who teach them and the broader College community. This code outlines what it means to be student member of the Endeavour community and student responsibilities and expectations.

Where do I go for help?

  • Assistance & Feedback: On your Student Portal, you can request assistance using the Assistance & Feedback function. You can request timetable assistance, academic assistance, provide feedback, or request other assistance.
  • For help with enrolment or other issues, speak to Student Services on campus, or request assistance through your Student Portal under Assistance & Feedback For help with an online subject, email your online tutor using the Message My Teacher function in the top right corner of the subject on the LMS

For help with an on-campus subject, speak to your lecturer on campus or email your lecturer using the Message My Teacher function in the top right corner of the subject on the LMS.

Study and subjects

How do I enrol into a subject?

You can enrol in subjects via your Student Portal under the ‘Management Enrolments’ tab. Student Services are here to help if you get stuck.

How do I choose my next subjects to enrol in?

Course structures are available on the Endeavour website in the course brochure specific to your degree. These contain all subjects that you must complete successfully to obtain your degree and other important information including availability of subjects on campus and online, credit point value, weekly contact hours, and pre-requisites.

For help choosing your next subjects or to develop an appropriate study plan for your enrolment, contact Student Services on campus or request assistance through your Student Portal using the assistance & feedback function.

You can also attend one of the many ‘Course Progression’ webinars run throughout the year. Learn more about Course Progression webinars here.

What determines part time and full-time study load?

Part time study load is at least 50% of a full-time credit point load for subjects attributed to a given semester of study, including subjects taken online. The number of credit points and contact hours making up this load will vary depending on the course enrolled in. Please refer to your course structure, which also shows the Austudy % per subject.

Full time study load required for Austudy is usually 75% or 18 hours of study (Bachelor of Health Science - Acupuncture, Myotherapy, Naturopathy, and Nutritional & Dietetic Medicine).

How do I apply for FEE-HELP to fund my studies?

Before your first census date you are required to submit an electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) via the Student Portal, FEE-HELP menu option. Please bring proof of Australian Citizenship to your nearest campus in the form of your Australian Birth Certificate, Citizenship Certificate or valid Australian Passport. This documentation must be completed before census date so that your tuition fees can be allocated to a FEE-HELP debt at the census date for each intake of study you enrol into. Please visit for more information.

Can I change the delivery mode of a subject to online or on campus?

Students may swap to a different intake or subject prior to the census date. Swaps must be within the same calendar year (January to December).

Teaching periods, relevant to Austudy/Abstudy/Youth Allowance applications are as follows:

Teaching Period 1- January to June
Teaching Period 2- July to December

I am struggling with one of my subjects – Where can I get some help?

Submit a request via the Student Portal, indicating ‘Academic Assistance’ as your area of enquiry.

I am experiencing circumstances that are affecting my studies, what can I do?

If you have personal experiences that are impacting on your studies you can apply for special circumstances to receive special consideration that can result in assessment extensions, deferred examinations, additional clinic make up sessions and remittance of FEE-HELP debt. Applications of special circumstance are accepted by Student Services supported with a Statutory Declaration and medical, legal or other documentation. Please view the special circumstance policy for further information. Applications that do not meet the guidelines for special circumstance will be denied by the Director of Student Services or appropriate Program Leader.

How do I apply for an extension for an assessment?

I need to defer my exam: Please complete the ‘Deferred Assessment e-form found on your Student Portal under ‘Resources & Links’. This form must be completed within 3 days of the exam date and must be accompanied by supporting documentation.

Written Assignment extension: Please complete an assignment extension form available on the Student Portal before the due date and return the completed form to your lecturer.

How do I defer my course?

You can defer your course for a period of 6 to 12 months. Deferment is actioned at the end of a teaching period before enrolling into any further subjects. Deferment can occur after completing a Variation of Course Form. For more information please view the Deferral and Withdrawal Policy - Higher Education.

How do I withdraw from a subject?

Please contact Student Services to withdraw from a subject after Census Date.

Student Services

What can Student Services help me with?

Everything from enrolment to graduation- re-enrolment, withdrawal, course/progression advice, explanation of policy, assistance with forms, special circumstances, deferral of exams.

How do I get in touch with Student Services to speak with a Student Adviser?

  • Request assistance via the Student Portal main menu
  • Call us on 1300 462 887 – selecting option 2 from the main menu
  • Send an email to the national student services team:

Online subjects

How much online study can I do?

Depending on the course you’re studying, some professions have limitations on the amount of online study a student can complete to register. Professional associations vary as to the amount of online learning that they accept in a Bachelor degree. Their standards may change at any time and although Endeavour commits to keeping students informed of such changes, ultimately it is the student’s responsibility to keep abreast of these issues to ensure they meet the qualifications.

Is my subject available for online study?

Our Bachelor of Health Science qualifications offer some subjects via online learning. You can view the list of online subjects available for your degree by viewing the course brochure. Many subjects are offered in multiple intakes over the year. To see when subjects are offered, please view the online schedule of subjects.

When do I get the result for my online subjects?

The result release dates for each online intake are published on the Online Calendar on your Student Portal under Resources & Links.

When is the final exam for my online subject?

The exact final exam date and time will be posted on The Loop in LMS about 6 weeks before the exam date. The exam weeks are listed on the Online Calendar on your Student Portal under Resources & Links.

Student Wellbeing and Mental Health

How do I get in touch with a counsellor?

Endeavour has a Student Assistance Program (SAP) which provides a professional and confidential counselling service at no cost to you for up to 3 sessions. This service connects you to qualified and independent counsellors available 24/7 on 1800 336 207.

How can I access support for my diagnosed medical condition or disability?

All Student Service Advisers are trained Access and Equity Officers who can sit down and have a talk with you to discuss your personal study needs and put in place a reasonable adjustment plan to support you during your studies with us. For information on the inherent course requirements for each qualification please contact your local Access and Equity officer by requesting assistance via the Student Portal.

I am feeling extremely stressed, quite overwhelmed and anxious, where do I go to for support?

This is a very stressful time with COVID-19 and it is normal to feel stressed and anxious during this time. The College has a free counselling session for all students 24/7 on 1800 336 207, please call SAP at any time for confidential counselling to support you and your family. It is important that you seek support during this time to ensure that you stay healthy and well for you and the support of your family and friends.

The College is closely monitoring the situation and following all the relevant advice from the Department of Health, Department of Education and Government agencies. As new information becomes available updates will be provided on this page.

  • If you have been in close contact with a confirmed case of coronavirus, you must isolate yourself for 14 days after last contact with the confirmed case.
  • If you have been in close contact with someone who has, and are presenting symptoms including fever, flu-like symptoms, sore throat, headache, and shortness of breath, you need to contact your usual doctor. You cannot attend College until Public Health informs you that it is safe for you to do so.
  • Students and Staff in these circumstances should not attend the college and must avoid contact with other students and staff
  • If you are currently in classes and are excluded from the College due to presenting symptoms of the virus then please contact the student services team in the first instance.

To self-assess your own risk of coronavirus (COVID-19) please refer to this guide (PDF).

For further detailed and updated information, refer to the links below and a list of state and territory public health hotlines.

State hotlines

  • ACT call 02 5124 9213
  • NSW call 1300 066 055
  • NT call 08 8922 8044
  • QLD call 13HEALTH (13 43 25 84)
  • SA call 1300 232 272
  • TAS call 1800 671 738
  • VIC call 1300 651 160
  • WA visit HealthyWA or call your local public health unit

First Aid Certificate

Will the first aid courses still run on campus?

All first aid courses will be suspended on campus from 23 March to 6 July. Based on the reopening of the campus the practical first aid courses will continue, and you will be informed of new dates and times. Please continue to complete the theory component of the first aid and the practical component can be completed at a later date. Based on the current circumstances, extension dates have been applied with all certificates to be uploaded upon completion and no later than 23 May. This will be reviewed on a case by case basis. In future semesters please plan to have your first aid certificate completed by the start of the semester to ensure your participation in all practical classes and clinics.

Working with Children Checks

Am I still able to continue in pre-clinical classes if I am waiting on WWCC / Police clearance documentation that has not been received by census date?

It is important to continue to plan for WWCC and a possible return to campus date of 6 July. The WWC Check is now available online from many states and you can continue to process your application as required. In the case where the college needs to cite your application student services are now competing this online via zoom meetings. Please continue to plan ahead and submit your WWCC or equivalent application ready for any clinical or practical subjects that you may be planning to study in S2|20.

All FAQ’s about the application process can be sent to WWCChecks:

Bookstore and library

Is the bookstore still open? Can I order my books?

Yes, the bookstore is open! The highest health and safety practices are being adhered to in our warehouse and we are following the latest advice and guidance from the Department of Health as well as any imposed Government restrictions to ensure that all books are delivered safely.

As part of these safety measures, this means that, for the moment, we are dispatching orders three times per week: Monday, Wednesday and Friday. All orders will be sent via either standard or express post. Our carrier, Australia Post, is currently experiencing delays so we strongly encourage you to order as early as you can to ensure you have your books ready for you to start your studies and time these with your current schedule.

Endeavour students receive 10% off all full-priced items on our website (*excludes sale items, textbook packs and clinic uniforms). To receive your discount, type the code STUDY10 into the discount box at the checkout.

The campus shipping option is not currently available and will become available again when government restrictions on physical distancing are lifted.

We're here to help. If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out to the bookstore via email or call us on 07 3253 9525.

You can visit the Endeavour bookstore online:

For updates on COVID-19 impact on the bookstore visit our update page:

Is the library still open?

No, libraries will be closed from the March 23 to July 6. The Virtual Librarian service will be extended to 8am-8pm AEDT and will be staffed by the campus librarians. We will be running additional Skype appointments and webinars, check back here for more details over the coming weeks.

Am I able to take a book out for a longer loan period across this time?

Yes. The library has extended the loan for all books until 8 May based on the planned reopening of the campus at this time.

Can I still get support from the library team at this time?

Yes absolutely. The campus and virtual librarian team will be happy to help you at this time. Our campus and virtual librarians are available via the live chat and for one on one appointments.

We recommend you use the live chat function for quick questions and book a consultation via the LMS for a phone or video appointment for more in-depth questions. The library will also be running webinars, you can find information about these on the library website.

Australian Government Support

The Australian Government has announced loan tax relief for students on FEE-HELP, in the latest announcement for Higher Education Relief Package;

  • The package announces a 6-month exemption from the 25% FEE-HELP Loan Tax to help commencing students and support current students through this difficult year. The exemption will apply to census dates that fall between April 1 and September 30, 2020.
  • The loan fee exemption will be automatically applied when your loan is submitted by the College to the Department of Education, Skills and Employment.
  • This can be applied to all subjects taken between April 1 and September 30.

As a student, do I need to apply for the FEE-HELP tax exemption?

No. There is no need to apply for this through the study assist government website. Any subjects that you are enrolled into between April 1 and September 30, 2020 the loan fee tax exemption will apply. The loan fee will be automatically applied to all subjects that you enrolled into across this period, and the Study Assist Government department will automatically implement this tax relief on the subjects across this six-month exemption period.

How do I find out more about this fee help tax exemption?

This is an Australian Government Initiative, refer to the Australian Government Department of Education skills and employment website FAQ’s.

Are there any subject limitations?

There are no subject limitations, students may choose to study any subject across April 1 to September 30, 2020, and the loan fee tax exemption will apply.

Is this taken off the subject fee?

No. This is not taken off the subject fee, this is an exemption from the 25% fee help loan tax that already exists on your FEE-HELP balance.

How do I find out my current FEE-HELP balance?

Contact Study Assist for all information regarding help loans, eligibility and limits. Visit the website or contact them directly. This this is an Australian Government registered loan.

The Australian Government has extended the Coronavirus supplement to students on Youth Allowance for Students, Austudy.