Get answers to our most commonly asked questions at Student Services

Timetable and Calendars

Timetables and Calendars for each teaching period can be found in the Student Portal. The Timetable Explorer within the Portal serves to provide you with timetable options for selected subjects to create a suitable timetable. You must then go to the Manage Enrolment section on the Portal to complete your enrolment.

On Campus


FAQ Documents

Deferred Exams

  • Students can apply for a deferred examination if they are unable to sit an examination due to medical or reasons outlined on the Deferred Examination Application form
  • Only examinations worth 15% or more of the final grade can be deferred
  • Applications for a deferred examination must be lodged with supporting documentation to Student Services within 3 business days of the scheduled examination date
  • Please note that the deferred exam dates and times are non-negotiable.
  • Misreading the timetable is not a valid reason for granting a deferred examination

Clinic Block Model

Why were the clinics changed from a semester model?

The Clinic Block Model was developed based on feedback from our students who wanted more consistency with their clinic subjects in order to manage their studies alongside their work, life and family commitments. With a consistently changing clinic schedule from semester to semester, we understood the challenges it posed for many of you. In addition, due to the long semester breaks in clinic, we found it difficult to promote a continuity of care for our clients, and ultimately retain our clients.

Now that the clinic will be open for 48 weeks of the year, it will allow both students and clients to have more consistency and give students more opportunity to study and treat outside of a traditional semester. You will be able to start a Clinic Block during a semester break – this will not only help with study workloads, but also with the advancement of your degree.

We recognise that many of you are supporting their families through working and parenting, and that adding study on top of these existing commitments was challenging with the old clinic model. The new Clinic Block Model allows you to achieve your goals and pursue a passion in natural health by offering more flexibility to juggle commitments across multiple blocks, based on your availability throughout the year.

Why the Clinic Block Model?

The Clinic Block Model is a College-wide initiative, based on student feedback, to:

  • Provide a high standard student clinical education
  • Build students’ experience in the clinical setting
  • Build strong and repeated client experience
  • Provide flexibility for students
  • Extend opening hours for increased client engagement

What will the Clinic Block look like in 2021?

In 2021, you will be able to enrol in Clinic Blocks throughout the year. This will include four clinic blocks of 12 weeks each.

The Clinic Block Model is designed to offer:

  • Increased flexibility
  • Annual planning
  • Consistency of clients
  • Maximise the teaching and learning clinical experience
  • Support the unique demographics of our students who juggle multiple commitments alongside their studies

With the changes due to COVID-19, are the intensive clinics still running?

No, the intensive clinics are not running. The COVID-19 pandemic across Australia evolved quickly, and within a matter of weeks the College went from a normal semester to entirely closed on March 23, with the initial plan to reopen on May 4.

Based on the government’s directive in April, social distancing was to be maintained and restrictions were still in place across all states. The College announced to students that all campuses would not be reopening on May 4, and that the ‘plan b’ to reopen the campuses on July 6 was being put into effect. With this plan in place, students will be able to transition into the Clinic Block Model.

Do I only need to complete the Clinic Block and not the Intensive?

No, you will not need to complete both. The block substitutes the intensive five-week clinic delivery we were proposing when our on-campus return date was May 4, 2020. This means you will be required to complete block three only and instead of the previously communicated intensive five-week clinic block. The hours that you have already completed will be allocated and you will just be required to make up the remaining hours for completion, which will be approximately nine weeks. If this is challenging, please submit a Special Consideration Application through the student portal for consideration.

I have already enrolled into S1|20 clinics with a fee, will I be charged for Clinic Block 3 as well?

No, the College has no intention of charging any students twice. To support this process, you will be removed from the S1|20 enrolment and the College will contact you directly to support enrolment into the new Clinic Block. This will ensure that there is only one fee associated with the subject. All S1|20 students will be given priority to enrol into Clinic Block 3.

Is there a new census date for the Clinic Block?

Yes. Based on a 12-week teaching period the census date is three weeks after the start of the teaching. A 2020 calendar that outlines the start and finish date of the Clinic Block, as well as the census dates, is currently being presented to the Educational Board and the Academic Council. Once endorsed, this will be released to students. This is expected to be aligned with the May 18 announcement of the timetable in PDF format.

If I am unable to commit to the clinic block 3 timetable can I withdraw without penalty?

Absolutely. As you enrolled into a new teaching period, Clinic Block 3 you can manage your enrolment as you would prior to the census date. As a student, you can withdraw or enrol prior to the census date. Students can manage their enrolment via the student portal, student services support, or through course progression teams. The Student Services support and Course Progression Advisers can also be contacted via the student portal ticket system or but calling 1300 462 887.

Do I need to do clinics across every single block of clinic, or can I choose different Clinic Blocks?

The benefit of the new Clinic Block Model is that you can select the blocks you would like to undertake in any year. As there are four blocks in a year, it allows more opportunity to stay in progression or advance through your degree quicker and manage your pace of clinical study.

Is there a block number that I need to enrol into?

There is no minimum or maximum block number that you need to take in a calendar year. The main consideration when planning your course progression is that one Clinic Block = one Semester. If you are undertaking a full-time load, and you want to continue with the usual full-time load, you would need to select two Clinic Blocks, or if you would like to get ahead and advance through your degree quicker than you were, then you can select additional clinical studies and subjects. It is important to remember that you must have completed all the pre-requisites and enrolled into the co-requisite to support course progression.

Will the times and days change for each clinic for each block?

No. This block model is designed to keep things consistent throughout the year – based on your feedback. We respect that many of you are juggling working commitments, study commitments and family commitments.

The Clinic Block Model has been designed for consistency so that students and clients know exactly when discipline sessions are being undertaken in a whole year in their local clinic. This means that every effort has been made to keep each discipline clinic session the same for the whole year. These sessions have also been tailored with input from Clinic Managers and peak time customer booking preferences. This will allow students to pre-plan their year to allow for a more stable work/family/study balance.

As an added bonus, it will also assist with our Endeavour Wellness Clinic clients who will be able to pre-book their sessions for the same time for the whole year.

How do I enrol into my clinics?

In the exact same way you do for all of your subjects through the student portal. When you click on your clinic code, it will give you options as to what days you would like to select for the 12-week Clinic Block Model. Once you have completed your enrolment, your place will be reserved for that time for the whole 12-week period.

What happens if I cannot attend to the clinics on the days of the subjects?

The clinic make-up process remains unchanged. Clinics are still 100% attendance subjects, and if a clinic is missed, then you will need adhere to and fill out the ‘Application for Clinic Session Make-Up’ found on the website under College forms.

How do I complete make-up clinics if there are no break periods?

Make-up clinics will be completed in any Clinic Block period, as long as they are completed by the census date of the next Clinic Block period.

Frequently Asked Questions

What is the Student Code of Conduct?

The Student Code of Conduct aims to foster Endeavour values and encourage active engagement between the College and the student body within the contexts of professional practice, teaching and learning, research and the life of the College community.

Download the Student Code of Conduct

The purpose of this Code of Conduct that underpins the Endeavour student experience is to define the partnership that exists between students, the staff who teach them and the broader College community. This code outlines what it means to be student member of the Endeavour community and student responsibilities and expectations.

When are the graduation ceremonies?

Due to COVID-19, graduation ceremonies will be postponed. All graduates of 2020 will be contacted with a new date once confirmed.

Can I complete my exam externally?

If you live over 100km from an Endeavour College of Natural Health campus you can apply to sit your examination via external invigilation. Please contact your local student services team for details on how to apply. All applications must be submitted more than 30 days prior to your scheduled examination date. Please note that due to COVID-19. upcoming examinations in 2020 will be taken online by all students. For more details, please visit our COVID-19 page.

Can I change the delivery mode of a subject- to online or on campus?

Students may swap to a different intake or subject prior to the census date.

Swaps must be within the same calendar year (January to December).

Teaching periods, relevant to Austudy/Abstudy/Youth Allowance applications are as follows:

Teaching Period 1- January to June
Teaching Period 2- July to December

How can I access support for my diagnosed medical condition or disability?

All Student Service Advisers are trained Access and Equity Officers who can sit down and have a talk with you to discuss your personal study needs and put in place a reasonable adjustment plan to support you during your studies with us. For information on the inherent course requirements for each qualification please contact your local Access and Equity officer by requesting assistance via the Student Portal.

How do I defer my course?

You can defer your course for a period of 6 to 12 months. Deferment is actioned at the end of a teaching period before enrolling into any further subjects. Deferment can occur after completing a Variation of Course Form. For more information please view the Deferral and Withdrawal Policy - Higher Education.

How do I apply to graduate?

Once you successfully pass all subjects within your course you can apply to graduate by completing the online form via the Student Portal - Resources & Links. On receipt of your request, if you have met all requirements and successfully completed all subjects and or units of competency, you will receive a Completion Letter and an Academic Record in the mail confirming your eligibility to graduate. This Record is sufficient for you to apply for membership to the relevant association/s. Awards will be issued after they have been conferred by College Council as per usual academic practice. College Council meetings are held every 6-8 weeks.

How do I enrol into a subject?

You can enrol in subjects via your Student Portal under the ‘Management Enrolments’ tab. Student Services are here to help if you get stuck.

How do I choose my next subjects to enrol in?

Course structures are available on the Endeavour website in the course brochure specific to your degree. These contain all subjects that you must complete successfully to obtain your degree and other important information including availability of subjects on campus and online, credit point value, weekly contact hours, and pre-requisites.

For help choosing your next subjects or to develop an appropriate study plan for your enrolment, contact Student Services on campus or request assistance through your Student Portal using the assistance & feedback function.
You can also attend one of the many ‘Course Progression’ webinars run throughout the year. Learn more about Course Progression webinars here.

How can I request a copy of my academic transcript?

Students receive a free copy of their official documentation upon graduation. Current and past students, or requests for re-issue will incur a $25.00 cost per re-issue request. Postage and handling charges apply.

Please allow a minimum of 7-10 working days from the processing of this form for receipt of your Transcript and ensure you have provided the correct postal address.

Please complete the Request for Academic Documentation Form and return to Student Services at your local campus.

How do I apply for an extension for an assessment?

I need to defer my exam: Please complete the ‘Deferred Assessment e-form found on your Student Portal under ‘Resources & Links’. This form must be completed within 3 days of the exam date and must be accompanied by supporting documentation.

Written Assignment extension: Please complete an assignment extension form available on the Student Portal before the due date and return the completed form to your lecturer.

How do I get in touch with a counsellor?

Endeavour has a Student Assistance Program (SAP) which provides a professional and confidential counselling service at no cost to you for up to 3 sessions. This service connects you to qualified and independent counsellors available 24/7 on 1800 336 207.

How do I access my Endeavour student email?

  1. Go to gmail.com
  2. Enter studentnumber@eweb.endeavour.edu.au as the username

How do I get my student card?

Visit your local library with a form of photo identification to receive your student card. You need a student card to sit any examinations held on campus and to borrow resources from your local Endeavour library.

How do I apply for FEE-HELP to fund my studies?

Before your first census date you are required to submit an electronic Commonwealth Assistance Form (eCAF) via the Student Portal, FEE-HELP menu option. Please bring proof of Australian Citizenship to your nearest campus in the form of your Australian Birth Certificate, Citizenship Certificate or valid Australian Passport. This documentation must be completed before census date so that your tuition fees can be allocated to a FEE-HELP debt at the census date for each intake of study you enrol into. Please visit www.studyassist.gov.au for more information.

How do I get in touch with Student Services to speak with a Student Adviser?

  • Request assistance via the Student Portal main menu
  • Call us on 1300 462 887 – selecting option 2 from the main menu
  • Send an email to the national student services team: student.services@endeavour.edu.au

How much online study can I do?

Depending on the course you’re studying, some professions have limitations on the amount of online study a student can complete to register. Professional associations vary as to the amount of online learning that they accept in a Bachelor degree. Their standards may change at any time and although Endeavour commits to keeping students informed of such changes, ultimately it is the student’s responsibility to keep abreast of these issues to ensure they meet the qualifications.

How do I withdraw from a subject?

Please contact Student Services to withdraw from a subject after Census Date.

I am experiencing circumstances that are affecting my studies, what can I do?

If you have personal experiences that are impacting on your studies you can apply for special circumstances to receive special consideration that can result in assessment extensions, deferred examinations, additional clinic make up sessions and remittance of FEE-HELP debt. Applications of special circumstance are accepted by Student Services supported with a Statutory Declaration and medical, legal or other documentation. Please view the special circumstance policy for further information. Applications that do not meet the guidelines for special circumstance will be denied by the Director of Student Services or appropriate Program Leader.

I am struggling with one of my subjects – Where can I get some help?

Submit a request via the Student Portal, indicating ‘Academic Assistance’ as your area of enquiry.

Is my subject available for online study?

Our Bachelor of Health Science qualifications offer some subjects via online learning. You can view the list of online subjects available for your degree by viewing the course brochure.  Many subjects are offered in multiple intakes over the year. To see when subjects are offered, please view the online schedule of subjects.

When do I get the result for my online subjects?

The result release dates for each online intake are published on the Online Calendar on your Student Portal under Resources & Links.

The College encourages 100% attendance for all classes, although it is not compulsory for many subjects. However, Clinic subjects have a 100% attendance requirement. The attendance and participation required in clinics includes students being able to actively engage in client consultations and treatments. Students can miss up to the equivalent one full week of scheduled clinic sessions (depending on the credit points of the clinic subject). Students should make every attempt to make up any missed sessions before the end of the semester by completing the Application for clinic make up. Please view the Attendance Policy- Higher Education for more details.

What can Student Services help me with?

Everything from enrolment to graduation- re-enrolment, withdrawal, course/progression advice, explanation of policy, assistance with forms, special circumstances, deferral of exams.

Where do I go for help?

  • Assistance & Feedback: On your Student Portal, you can request assistance using the Assistance & Feedback function. You can request timetable assistance, academic assistance, provide feedback, or request other assistance.
  • For help with enrolment or other issues, speak to Student Services on campus, or request assistance through your Student Portal under Assistance & Feedback For help with an online subject, email your online tutor using the Message My Teacher function in the top right corner of the subject on the LMS
  • For help with an on campus subject, speak to your lecturer on campus or email your lecturer using the Message My Teacher function in the top right corner of the subject on the LMS.

What is the Student Portal?

The Student Portal is your administration site. Anything to do with your enrolment history, results and notices from the College can be found on the Student Portal. You can view the year’s timetables, access forms and policies, pay fees, submit a request for assistance and submit feedback.

What determines part time and full time study load?

Part time study load is at least 50% of a full time credit point load for subjects attributed to a given semester of study, including subjects taken online. The number of credit points and contact hours making up this load will vary depending on the course enrolled in. Please refer to your course structure, which also shows the Austudy % per subject.

Full time study load required for Austudy is usually 75% or 18 hours of study (Bachelor of Health Science - Acupuncture, Myotherapy, Naturopathy, and Nutritional & Dietetic Medicine).

What is the LMS?

Learning Management System. Here you’ll find all of your course information relating to your online subjects. On the LMS you can access course materials, submit assignments, contact lecturer/tutor, view subject outlines and access a range of support tools.

For any LMS queries, please email online@endeavour.edu.au or call 1300 051 429 to speak with our online help desk team.

When is the final exam for my online subject?

The exact final exam date and time will be posted on The Loop in LMS about 6 weeks before the exam date. The exam weeks are listed on the Online Calendar on your Student Portal under Resources & Links.