Call 1300 462 887 Apply Course Enquiry

Visa and Insurance Requirements

Go Back

On this page

The College defines an International Student as someone who is not an Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen or a permanent visa holder.

The College defines an International Student as someone who is not an Australian citizen or permanent resident or a New Zealand citizen or a permanent visa holder. This definition includes students studying onshore on a range of temporary visas (working holiday visa, tourist visa, student visa etc) or offshore as an online student. Information that applies only to students studying on specific visa classes (e.g. Student Visa) is specified when relevant. All international students at the College pay fees specified for international students, regardless of visa subclass. International students can hold either a student visa or another temporary visa.

Student Visas

Student Visa Subclass Options

The following visa subclasses are accepted for study at the College:

  • Student Visa (subclass 500)
    Applies to a Bachelor of Health Science Degree

Student Visa Requirements

International students studying on a student visa must ensure they meet the conditions of their student visa at all times. Many student visa conditions are directly linked to the Colleges policies and procedures.

Any change to the enrolment of international students must be reported to the Department of Home Affairs (DHA) through the Provider Registration and International Student Management System (PRISMS) and this action may have a direct impact on the student’s visa.

Students studying on a student visa may not undertake less than a full time (100%) study load unless a reduced workload is due to compassionate and compelling circumstances, part of an approved intervention strategy or due to the application of course credit. These students may also only study a maximum of 30% of the total course in online study mode, and must always be enrolled and studying at least one subject / unit of study in face to face mode (on campus).

Students on a student visa can only work up to 40 hours per fortnight when the course is in session (during study periods). Students must also continue to satisfy the criteria for the grant of the visa for the full duration of time in Australia, which includes being able to meet all College fee requirements and living expenses while in Australia (have enough funds to pay for their time in Australia).

Students must inform the College of their residential address in Australia within 7 days of arrival in Australia and of any change to residential address or contact phone number within 7 days of the change throughout their time at the College.

Student visa holders may only study courses registered on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) at campuses also registered on CRICOS.

Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) for students on a student visa: The student must either provide proof that they have arranged Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) or ask the College to arrange this for them. Proof of OSHC is required for the proposed duration of the student visa.

Temporary Visa Holders

Temporary Visa Options

Australian international temporary visas are varied and many subclasses of visa may be eligible to study in Australia. Please confirm with DHA that your visa allows you to study prior to enrolling at the College. The following types of visa may allow you to study in Australia:

  • Temporary Graduate Visa (subclass 485) post-study work stream
  • Employer Sponsored Workers visa (subclass 457)
  • Other Professional and Work visas (various subclasses)
  • Visitor visas (subclass 600) Working Holiday visas (subclass 417 and 462)
  • Retirement visas (subclass 410 only)
  • Medical Treatment visas (subclass 602, 675, 685)
  • Bridging visas (various subclasses)

Other visas not listed above may allow you to study in Australia for a fixed period of time. If you hold another visa and are interested in studying at the College, please check with DHA if you are eligible to study.

Temporary visa holders (students that hold a temporary visa other than a student visa) may enrol in any available course at any campus and may also study part time and online.

If the prospective student’s visa does not cover the length of the course, they must provide the College with a statement that explains the way in which they intend to complete the course.

Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC) for students on other temporary visas: All students are encouraged to arrange Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC) or ask the College to arrange this for them.

Insurance Requirements

Insurance requirements assist international students meet the costs of medical and hospital care you may need while in Australia.

What is Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC)?

OSHC is insurance to assist international students to meet the costs of medical and hospital care that they may need while in Australia. OSHC will also pay limited benefits for pharmaceuticals and ambulance services.

Who has to take out OSHC?

People who must take out OSHC are overseas students undertaking formal studies in Australia and their dependents (for example, spouses and children under 18 years old).

For the purposes of OSHC, ‘overseas student’ means:

  • a person who is the holder of a student visa (subclass 500); or
  • a person who:
    • is an applicant for a student visa; and
    • is the holder of a bridging visa; and
    • was immediately before being granted the bridging visa, the holder of a student visa.

The Department of Home Affairs requires overseas students to maintain OSHC for the duration of time they are in Australia. For further information please visit the Department of Home Affairs website.

Who doesn't have to take out OSHC?

Belgian, Norwegian and some Swedish students are not required to purchase OSHC as part of their visa requirements. International students on any other visa than a subclass 500 (i.e. another temporary visa) are encouraged to take out Overseas Visitor Health Cover (OVHC) but this is not a visa requirement.

How do I purchase OSHC?

You can arrange to pay for your OSHC through Endeavour College of Natural Health when enrolling. Endeavour College’s preferred supplier for OSHC is Allianz Care Australia. Any applicants seeking to purchase OSHC through Endeavour will be provided with insurance by Allianz Care Australia.

Alternatively, you can purchase your own OSHC online by visiting insurer’s websites; please ensure it is an Australian OSHC product that you are purchasing, not travel or other medical insurance. You retain the right to choose your own OSHC provider even when your educational institution makes a specific recommendation because they have negotiated a preferred provider arrangement with a particular insurer.

If you would like the College to arrange your insurance through Allianz Care Australia, please discuss this with your Admissions Adviser during your enrolment process.

How much does OSHC cost?

The cost of OSHC varies depending on the type of cover required. The average cost of minimum cover is $685 for 12 months singles cover, $2354 for 12 months couples cover, and $3582 family cover (Australian dollars).

For more information regarding OSHC, please visit the Australian Government Department of Health website.