This curried coconut quinoa with chickpeas is so simple and tasty it could become a regular dish in your cooking repertoire for winter.
The dish contains turmeric which is known for its anti-inflammatory properties and can help reduce the risk of dementia, cancer, heart attacks and strokes. Another nutritional hero of this dish is quinoa, one of only a few plant foods considered a complete protein. It also contains B-vitamins, magnesium, calcium, Vitamin E and fibre.
3 teaspoons melted coconut oil
1 clove of crushed garlic
1 medium brown/yellow onion, chopped
1 tbsp ground cumin powder
1 tbsp turmeric powder
1 teaspoon curry powder (I like Keen's)
1 can of organic chickpeas, rinsed and drained
1 can (400ml) coconut cream
½ cup water
1 cup of quinoa
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 cups of baby spinach or rocket
1. In a large saucepan heat on medium and add coconut oil.
2. Add onion and garlic and cook until translucent and then add all the spices and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Next, pour coconut cream, water and quinoa in saucepan. Stir until well combined and add the chickpeas and pinch of salt. Cover and turn down heat on low for 15 minutes.
4. Once cooked, turn off heat and stir in spinach or rocket.
5. Serve with cashews and cherry tomatoes and enjoy!
About Cassandra Law
Cassandra Law is a nutritionist from Sydney with a passion for sharing her insights about improving health and wellbeing through nutrition. She is a graduate of Endeavour College of Natural Health.
Who doesn't love a smoothie bowl during Summer? With so many combos and flavours to experiment with, this one sneaks in some extra veggies that are bound to make it a hit. Top it with your favourite fruits and other crunchy things like cereal and nuts to give you a more satisfying start to the day than a regular smoothie (because you can't down it 10 seconds!).
This beautiful Hibiscus and Rose Water Kombucha Jelly recipe was created by the very talented Endeavour Alumni, Georgia Barnes. Containing gut-friendly kombucha, these light and refreshing jelly's are perfect for summer.