This raw cacao and matcha snow log is gluten-free, vegan and paleo-friendly - and perfect for the festive season.
If you’ve been living under a rock, head to Instagram and you’re guaranteed to see how many people are going green this Christmas. One of my favourite ‘green’ foods is finely milled green-tea leaves called matcha. Matcha has a beautiful, deep and earthy flavour with a sweetness right at the end.
It is said this green beauty has one of the highest levels of antioxidants per serve compared with other super foods. Matcha provides a mellow caffeine boost without the crashes of its cousin coffee. Loaded with the amino L-Theanine, matcha is said to boost alertness yet also promote relaxation. It’s also packed with chlorophyll properties which may help with detoxification.
It is possible to use this amazing green powder in everything from lattes to sweet treats. For those who screw their noses up and say it tastes like grass clippings, wait until you have tried it with chocolate. This raw cacao and matcha snow log is gluten-free, vegan and paleo-friendly.
Raw Cacao and Matcha Snow Log
Ingredients for dark part of log:
1 cup of steamed sweet potato or pumpkin
4 fresh dates (pitted)
1 tbsp coconut oil (soft/melted)
1 tbsp maple syrup (or liquid sweetener of choice)
2 tsp vanilla bean essence
1 cup of desiccated coconut
½ cup of almond meal
2 scoops of chocolate plant-based protein (raw texture is best)
2 tbsp raw organic cacao powder
1 tsp psyllium husk
½ tsp vanilla pinch of pink salt liquid as needed (use coconut water if you have a sweet tooth)
Ingredients for green part of log:
½ cup of steamed sweet potato or pumpkin 2 fresh dates (pitted)
1 tsp coconut oil
1 tsp vanilla bean essence
1 cup of desiccated coconut
2 scoops of vanilla plant-based protein (raw)
1 tbsp of Being Co Matcha Powder Liquid as needed (use coconut water if you have a sweet tooth)
- Using a high-speed blender add all ingredients except liquid (water), blend for 30 seconds then slowly add in liquid as needed. Continue liquid until a sticky doughy (Playdoh) texture is formed.
- Remove mixture from blender and place in a bowl to one side.
- Blend the green part of the log the same way.
- Sprinkle extra cacao powder on a cutting board, halve the dark mixture and roll out flat about two cms high.
- Use the entire green mixture and cover directly on the top of the dark mixture.
- Add the remainder of the dark mixture to top and flatten.
- You should now have a block ready to roll - carefully roll into a log on top of cling wrap.
- Cover outside of log with coconut oil to hold, and then roll in shredded coconut, wrap log in cling wrap and put in freezer.
- Freeze for one to two hours before slicing.
- Store in refrigerator (keeps for seven days) or freezer for longer duration.
This recipe was first published on my Food Fitness Wellness blog.
Rebecca Neale is an Australian health and fitness ambassador for Body Science, a food and wellness blogger, sports model, online coach and personal trainer. She wakes up every morning with a burning desire to create positive change in the world around her.
After discovering first hand the impact the right nutrition, exercise and correct mindset can have on both physical and mental health Rebecca now believes that true wellbeing comes from within. She is currently studying her Bachelor degree in Health Science (Naturopathy) to continue following her dream to help as many as she can achieve high levels of wellbeing and to heal themselves naturally - mind and body.
Related recipes articles
A great way to use up your stash of juicy mangos is to make this quick veggie Mango Curry, it's perfect for Summer as it puts a spin on the classic red curry flavours.
Packed with warming and healing anti-inflammatory spices, these flavour-packed bliss balls make the perfect snack for when you need a boost of energy, especially during the cooler months. A great source of long-lasting complex carbohydrates to fuel your body, healthy fats to boost brain power and plant protein to keep you satisfied until your next meal, as well as an abundance of vitamins, minerals and powerful antioxidants to nourish the body, mind and soul. Yum!